Monday, August 23, 2010

Champion Grocery Shopper

Well, folks, I've done it again.  I have fought and conquered the grocery store.  I am pretty much getting awesome at this.

I decided to make two weeks worth of meal plans since school is starting up and going to the grocery store every other week is better than going every week.  Right?

My budget for one week is $50.  At least, I'm trying to make that my budget.  Some weeks it happens, other weeks...not so much.  I'm a little over this month.  However, compared to what I had been spending each month at the grocery store, I am way, way, way under.  Anyway, since I was shopping for two weeks, I figured I would be spending close to $100 (because $50 x 2 = $100!).  So this morning I made my two weeks' worth of meal plans.  I looked at what we already had, what could be made from that, and what we would need to cook everything else.  I made my grocery list and Matt went with me to the store.

Aldis was up first.  This is what I bought:


2 lbs ground turkey
4 lb. whole roasting chicken
pork chops
ice cream
biscuits
apples
green peppers
hamburger buns
chips
2 sour cream containers
garlic

How much did I pay for this bounty?  $29.34!!  Amazing.

I only had to pick up a few things at Safeway:


Onions, fried rice spice packet, and pizza sauce only cost $4.24.

So my total cost of groceries for the next two weeks comes to........$33.58! 

I think that's pretty darn good.  I will have to pick up some fresh produce and bread next week, but that should only be a couple bucks.  Here's what Matt and I are having for din-din over the next two weeks:

Sweet and Sour Chicken
Pizza (homemade)
Aglio e Olio (Pasta and Oil) with tuna
Fried Rice
Sloppy Joes
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Pork Chops
Roasted Herb Chicken Breast
Tacos
Tuna Cakes
Rotisserie Style Chicken

and a smattering of leftovers when necessary.

What good deals at the grocery store did you find this week?

1 comment:

  1. Good info for young shoppers
    good buget tips
    Going to share this with the young couples I know of .
    great strategies

    ReplyDelete

Say Hello!