Sunday, August 22, 2010

Back to School

Wednesday, August 25th is the first official teacher work day for the 2010-2011 school year.

Didn't we just have the last official work day for the 2009-2010 school year, like...a week ago?

The summer has flown by.  F L O W N by.  I'm pretty sure we just finished school last week and someone pulled off the July page from the calendar and is trying to trick me into thinking it's late August.

I did do a lot this summer.  Including, but not limited to, the following:

•Babysat for some awesome kids who liked to play "Goldfish," lightsaber battles, and Pokemon.

•Went to Florida and visited my Grandma.

•Attended the wedding of two amazing people.

•Figured out that I can save a ton of money on my grocery bill by going to Aldi's and using coupons.

•Saved $30 on our cable bill by switching from Digital Cable to Economy Cable.  [P.S. there is no obvious difference between these two packages.]

•Took part in a shooting match in West Virginia.

•Spruced up our bedroom, my bathroom, and the laundry room.


Not a bad summer.  Just a fast one.

So even though official work days don't start until this Wednesday, I went in a couple days this past week to start getting stuff ready.  I went in early for a couple reasons (I'm all about bulleted lists today):

•There was nothing to do at home but watch Food Network and "forget" to do dishes or laundry.

•I get antsy thinking about all the prep work there is to do before kids come into the classroom on September 1st.

•I like setting up and decorating the classroom.

•Why cram everything into a week, when I can spread it out over two weeks?

I didn't get a ton done--mainly just arranging furniture where I want it and putting up my calendar board and some other decor.  This year will be different (again).  I don't mind different, but I also like the idea of having the same year back-to-back.  Let me recap my first two years of teaching and what will be my third year (yay, more bullets!!):

•Year 1:  Taught Kindergarten with two T.A.s (one morning, one afternoon).  Super fun.

•Year 2:  Moved to 1st grade (because of enrollment issues, not because I was a terrible K teacher).  I had to move to a new classroom and learn a whole new curriculum.  It was almost like starting over except for the fact that I knew a little better how to manage a classroom.

•Year 3 (this year):  1st grade!  I don't have to switch grade levels!  This is good!!  However, due to more enrollment issues, me and the other 1st grade teacher will be doing a pseudo-team teaching thing.  Don't get me wrong, I worked with the same teacher last year and loved it--so it's not the working together thing that's a problem.  It's just going to mean that I have to change things around again and it will just be another different year.  I can deal.  I'm just sayin'.

At this rate, I'm thinking I won't have two back-to-back identical years until Years 4 and 5.  They told me in college that by Year 3 I would have things sorted out and be somewhat sane.  But since I've moved around so much, I feel like I haven't had a chance to really get good at anything.  Oh well.  Maybe one day...

Monday I'm going to run some errands and maybe go in to the school.  Tuesday I certainly will be there and then starting Wednesday, I have to be there!  Ooo, boy.  So much to do.  I can feel the pressure already.  So if you notice these posts getting fewer and farer (more far?) between, that's why.  We'll see what happens to this space once school really starts going ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Nope, they lied to ya. See, you essentially NEVER get two years back to back the same because in education they are always throwing the baby out with the bathwater and repackaging the same stuff in new ways. Hence, speaker fees for workshops are ensured and teachers are ALWAYS having to reinvent and recreate their lessons!!! Happy trails! Aunt LA

    ReplyDelete

Say Hello!